Friday, November 21, 2008

Things I Love About Paris and France

After reading my blog, my friend Alice was concerned that my memories of my time in France would be negative. It's a good point; there are a lot of criticisms on this blog and I would be remiss if anyone got the impression that I am not enjoying my time here or if they thought I didn't like France or Paris.

As a partial explanation, however, I should start by saying that I routinely ask critical questions, challenge authority, and I love to have long drawn out discussions about things that a lot of people either don't think are important or think is a waste of time to discuss. Sometimes I do this because I am naive, slow, or just underinformed by comparison to my colleagues. Sometimes it's because I have researched the area and have too much information about it and am just bursting to share. I often can't believe that my friends don't know something that I know. I mean, I pretty much don't have any "dumb" friends. In fact, I generally speaking don't like to use that word because to me it implies that someone is incapable of learning something. I like to think that when someone doesn't know something it is just because they are uninformed or ignorant of the issue. Because of this belief, I think it is worth spending the time to fill in the gaps in their knowledge...sometimes for hours...sometimes when they really don't want to have the discussion.

When I first got here, I didn't really know anyone well enough to engage in such conversations so I ended up spending all my time talking to Sheridan about it, which is a continuation of our normal conversations at home. Needless to say, when you are living thousands of miles away from somebody you love and only have a certain limited amount of time to talk to them, there are better topics to talk about. Enter the blog. It not only keeps me sane and but also takes some of the burden off of Sheridan. It's also substitute for the easy access I had to Sheridan, Seats, Molly, Orso, MJ, Chaps, Tom, and Andrew, etc. at home.

It's also sort of a diary for me. The last time I was here I inconsistently kept a diary and have always regretted it. This time, I have this blog and am very happy with how things are going.

But overall, Alice is right. I am happy to be here and have enjoyed my experience in Paris, in spite of my many criticisms. I wouldn't trade this time here. I have learned a lot in my classes and made a lot of friends.

In light of that, here are some photos, in no particular order, of the things I have loved the most about being here. Thanks to Alice for inspiring this post---it has been a lot of fun.



The Canal St. Martin is right next to my house and is beautiful. I love to sit outside and just watch what's going on.
The Canal is so powerful that it even makes me like kids.

I love the public displays of affection that are rampant on the Canal and elsewhere in Paris.

Walking along the Seine is ostensibly better than walking along the Canal. While it's true that along the Seine you can see things like the Pont Neuf here, the Eiffel Tower, the Louvre, the Musee D'Orsay, etc, I am still fond of the Canal.
I love the ubiquitous maps that theoretically prevent one from getting lost, although I routinely still manage to do so.
Sacre Coeur seen from the top of the Arc de Triomphe.
The small park next to my house that is filled with a wonderful mix of races and ages every Sunday.
The Tuileries at the Louvre.
The Eiffel Tower all lit up in blue and sparkly just 'cause.

The changing face of Paris. There are so many mixed couples here. I am pretty sure that France is going to have to forget about the idea of "francais standard" or "francais francais." Under the republican ideal, everyone is the same and differentiation based on race and gender is frowned upon. As a result, discrimination is more subtle, at least in theory, and is manifested through language. If your French is not "correct" it gives someone a reason to criticize(not legally, just culturally) you that is supposed to be disconnected from race. In reality, of course, "francais standard" just happens to be the French spoken most typically by white educated French people. I don't know how this method of evaluation can continue given how France is changing, in spite of what you see in Amelie.

In any case, I love the changing face of Paris and the next couple shots are dedicated to it.




The second most moving thing I have seen in France, besides Barack Obama's election and acceptance speech.
I have loved having good friends visit for a while. This is my friend Steve, gamely drinking coffee out of a bowl when we didn't have a clean cup.

As mentioned before, I love the literary quality of the signs you see all over Paris.

I love seeing the Eiffel Tower basically whereever you go.

I loved seeing friends from the last time I was here. This is Mme Schneersohn, who runs Academic Year Abroad in Paris and is just as sweet, funny and patient as I remember her.

How can you not love the Pompidou?

Place de la Republique, which is about a mile from my house, is one of my favorite monuments.
Place de la Bastille, where I lived 16 years ago, is ranked pretty highly also.

I love to see French people loving America for good reasons.

The following is a series of pictures taken one afternoon while walking around Paris in the middle of the day in the middle of the work week. If you look closely, you'll see the work ethic that has made Paris the modern day business center it is.




The Parc de la Villette.
Of all the things I have loved about Paris this time around, my classmates are what I love the most. The last time here I didn't really get to know any French people that well This time, things are different. Here is the above mentioned Alice and Lea, two of my classmates and good friends from Dauphine.
Lea, Alice, Kristina and I in the metro after listening to some free jazz.
Gary and Suzanna at a cocktail after a long conference.
From left to right in the back row: a professor I don't know, Joel Moneger, Antoine, Razika, Gary, me, Suzanne
From left to right in the front row: a professor I don't know, Virgine, Marine, Alexandre and Brigitte Chenu.
Gregor and Colin.
Marine, Suzanne and Razika.
David, Zsuzsi, me, Suzanne and Marine.
Me, Christin and Gregor.
Marine and Gregor.
Lu Lu and Lilly.
A guy I don't know and another Antoine at Flam's.

Gary, enjoying a tasty Flam. Marion, Gary, Alexandre and Morgane on La Nuit Blanche
Wolf, Christin, Zsuzsi, David, Kristina and Gregor before La Nuit Blanche.

All my classmates waiting for the professor to arrive.
I have also loved meeting new American friends here in Paris like Jean with whom I watched the election night coverage.

This is my favorite bar, le pont tournant, although sadly, I haven't been there lately.

I love to hang out at Le Pont Neuf and just watch the people.


One more picture of the Canal, no people this time, just the Canal itself.
I absolutely loved the Jeff Koons pieces in Versailles. Here, Michael Jackson and Bubbles in porcelain and gold in the Sun King's house. While many found the art out of place, I couldn't help thinking that there is probably no one more fitting to put in the Sun King's house than Michael Jackson.
HANS!!!
Wolf coming to visit. We were both here in 1989 and now 2008. Good times then and now.
I love free wifi in the park.

I love drinking out side, which is tolerated but not legal.
Dauphine!!! Despite it's crazy configuaration, maddening bureaucracy, and 18th century classrooms, my trip here wouldn't even exist without it.

I love frequently seeing historical figures memorialized in statue anywhere I walk in Paris.

I love all the beautiful public parks.

I love all the crazy and cool graffitti.
I love Andre Le Notre designer of many of my favorite parks like the Tuileries. Thanks Dre.

2 comments:

Chapmaster said...

i love the pictures. regarding the public displays of affection, do you remember when we saw the old homeless man showing alot of affection to something inside of his pants?

martin said...

Wolf has a great name.