Saturday, November 1, 2008

Jacques Bonsergent


Jacques Bonsergent is the name of one of two metro stops that I use frequently, the other being Colonel Fabien. The other day I noticed this explanatory plaque in the metro. It was called Lancry(it is located on Rue Lancry) until 1946. It is named after M. Bonsergent because he was the first Frenchmen executed for his acts in the Resistance and lived near this metro stop.

Anyway, I think this sign is a great example of French writing and history. I will try to (loosely) translate it: "Jacques Bonsergent, engineer of arts and trades, first Frenchmen, victim of his courage and his brotherly feelings, executed on December 23rd 1940."

I am not sure about what sentiments fraternels means here. It could mean his feelings about his country or countrymen and at first I thought it didn't dmatter that much. I just like they way it is written, victim of his brotherly feelings. But then I thought, given that it was during the French Resistance, it might refer to his lack of anti-semitic feelings also. I dont' think that's it and I really hope that isn't it but I suppose it isn't outside the realm of possibility. That would change it for me.

No comments: